Thursday, October 31, 2013

NOTD: Candy Corn

I got into the Halloween spirit by painting my nails in a candy corn theme last night. It was an easy, imperfect, freehanded attempt at Halloween nails. This is a post of nail polishes that I don't get a lot of use out of, every day looks (at least for me) don't call for white, yellow and orange polish. So I have a limited selection of colors to choose from and used my only true white, yellow and orange polishes, but I think it turned out great and the colors were spot on.

For this look I used three colors, China Glaze White on White, Revlon Sorbet, and Julep Blake. 




I started the manicure with China Glaze White on White. I did two thin coats over all my nails.

Color: This a pure white in a cream finish. It went opaque in two thin coats. the first coat had a tendency to be streaky, but with the addition of the second coat it was perfect. I did this all over all my nails.

Formula/Application: The application was easy. It was slightly streaky on the first coat, but by the second coat I had a nice smooth and opaque white base for my candy corn look.

Wear Time: I only just applied this about 24 hours ago, so I cannot say much about wear time. I find that I tend to get a long wear from China Glaze polishes in general.

Would I repurchase? I do not imagine I will use up this entire bottle of white nail polish. I got it as part of an ombre kit, but have not had occasion to use it until this look. I would recommend this white as it is a nice pure white that is easy and quick to polish into an opaque look.

After I let the White on White dry completely, I used Julep Blake as my yellow. I actually used this yellow recently for my maize and blue nails as well. I took this shade and started at the bed of my nail and took it about half way down. I tried not to use too much polish as I was stopping it halfway through the nail. I used one coat.


Color: This a light yellow in a cream finish. It worked great in one coat over the White on White. 

Formula/Application: The formula, as with all the Julep polishes I have used, worked really well. It was completely opaque and non-streaky with just one coat over the White on White. No white came through. It applied nice and evenly.

Wear Time: In my last use of this polish, as an accent color, I found that it wore really well and I got 5 days of wear with no chipping and little tip wear. I only had it on my ring finger but still I felt that it wore wonderfully.

Would I repurchase? I like this shade, but I would not repurchase this particular Julep polish. I would recommend other Julep polishes and if you can get this as part of a Maven box, as I did, I would recommend going with it if the yellow had you on the fence. But if you are looking for a yellow for something like this or other themed nails, I would check out a drugstore brand like Sinful Colors or Wet N Wild. I am not sure if either of them have a yellow, but I think they have good quality and extremely inexpensive shades.

And to finish this candy corn look off I finished with the most imperfect wobbly stripes through the middle of the nails. I used Revlon Colorstay in Sorbet for this orange accent.




Color: This is a very true orange, like from a a crayola box of crayons. It was an impulse clearance sale purchase during the CVS sales that I thought would look good for a pedicure. I used it previously with a turquoise color as the accent color and it was a good color combo. I must admit that this is a good orange, although its applicability in my nail polishing life is limited.

Formula/Application: I really enjoy the Revlon colorstay polishes in general. This one was a little tricky for application. That may in part have been because I was trying to apply a swipe across the middle of the nail. I found that I had to go over it a couple of times on some nails as it got a little streaky.

Wear Time: I have great wear time with this polish, like all the colorstay polishes. I think I get at least 5 days wear every time that I wear these polishes.

Would I repurchase? At 75% off with a coupon, yes. Otherwise, probably not. It was not as great as other colorstay polishes I have. But for less than a couple of dollars, I think it is great.




Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment