Monday, October 28, 2013

Summer into Fall 2013 Empty Products

I have been finishing up a ton of products recently, so I wanted to give a run down of some of the items. I haven't kept all the products, as I tend to forget.



Almay Oil-Free Makeup Remover Wipes
I have a tendency to try out various makeup removing wipes when I see them on sale, and I must admit that I really liked these. They had a nice soft texture to the wipe, it was large and decently saturated. I did not find the wipe to be abrasive or irritating, which is of critical importance to me as my skin can react to different wipes. I found that the wipe was good for removing my makeup, although I never rely solely on makeup removing wipes for removal of my makeup and cleaning my face. I usually will swipe one over my face before beginning my more intensive face regime, including my Philosophy Purity and Clarisonic and Balms Away for tough to remove eye makeup. I got the 25 pack, priced at about $5-$6, and the towelettesstayed moisturized until the end, which can sometimes be an issue. I don't remember what I paid for these, but if I can get them on a deal or with a coupon I would repurchase. I always have the Kirkland wipes from Costco because I find them to be the most economical, but they are far from my favorite. I would recommend these.

Bath and Body Works Frozen Daiquiri Body Splash
I had this body moisturizer for a really long time, it was part of the Temptations Collection which I believe I purchased as a treat to myself after the bar exam in July 2008 from a Bath & Body Works Outlet, and it sat in the back of my linen closet for a very long time until I cleaned that closet out this summer and purged old products. I was afraid this one would be bad, but storing it in a dark closet has helped to preserve it I believe. I still smelled wonderful and there was no change to color or consistency of the spray. This is an almost sickeningly sweet strawberry scent, and I love it for the summer time to mix with other fragrances. It lightens and brightens any other fragrance that you wear it with and brings a summer like scent to it. I love berry flavors and scents, so I was a huge fan of this. Bath and Body Works does not make anything similar at this time time, but I will continue to keep my eyes open for this type of scent with summer collections. I did find a product at Kohl's that smells of the sweet fruitiness, but it was on clearance, so I imagine it is seasonal or discontinued. It is called Berry Burst and has a more raspberry infused scent. I loved the Frozen Daiquiri scent, and my google searches for indicates there are other big fans because it was going on amazon for crazy prices. I would not recommend paying more than the normal Bath and Body Works spray fragrance price for this scent, which per the price on my old bottle was $8.00 at the time, although when I just checked the price is now $14.00 for an 8 oz fragrance mist, which is nearly double in price. If Bath and Body Works comes out with this scent again, I will definitely grab it! 

Benefit Erase Paste in Fair
I love this concealer. I have used it for years, and I am sure I will continue to repurchase. It is a peachy shaded concentrated and creamy concealer, and therefore I find it perfect for covering my under eye circles.  You have to be careful to not use too much because it can look caked on if you use too much. The key I have found is that you need to warm the product up and use your fingers to gently pat it in to your skin. When I worked for the Benefit line years ago this was my favorite product, and I have to say even with the great additions they have had, I truly believe this is one of the absolute best products of the line. The color range is limited, but if you can find your perfect color you will be set. A very little goes a long way, and I think this product is well worth the $26 price, which I must note has not increased since I worked for the line over four years ago. You know you love concealer when you buy it not only for yourself but you gift it as well! I have gifted this concealer to my sister and some friends who are afflicted with killer dark circles like myself and they have loved it too.




Benefit Some Kind-a Gorgeous The Foundation Faker
I like this product for a very quick face product, but it is not my favorite. Once again the color line is limited, although it has expanded from the lines availability when I worked with the line. I find that the original color was a little dark for me, but I would use it on days when my skin was looking particularly good to just even out very lightly. I believe this was part of a set I purchased, I know thats where the lite shade of this Some Kind-a Gorgeous I have waiting to open is from. I need to get cracking on that one too because its from last year's Ulta black friday sale. Unless you have really nice skin that matches one of the available shades, I would not necessarily recommend this product. I have seen people that this product looks absolutely beautiful on, and I must admit if you don't need much coverage this product is great. It gives a really nice finish and seems to glide over pores and almost blur their appearance and for that I will always love this product. For me though because its not enough coverage for what I would like on a day to day basis, I do not plan on repurchasing, unless of course its included in a great set!

Benefit Lipgloss in Zone Out
This lipgloss is a sheer neutral golden color with glitters. Unfortunately these glosses are no longer carried by the line. I loved the texture, nice light fruity scent of the gloss, and the super glossy and glittery finish this gloss left behind. I liked to layer it over a mauve pink color to give it a little more glam look. I wish they were not discontinued.


Boots No7 Radiant Glow Concealer in Shade I
This is a click pen style light diffusing concealer that I find works best under the eyes. I really like this application for these concealers because it gives a light almost sheer coverage that works well under more opaque and full coverage products. I like this as the last step in under eye routine to really help to brighten my under eye area. This shade is just about my skin tone with a light reflecting pink color that helps to bounce the light off those under eye circles. I usually do a quick click or two and do a small "triangle of light" with a ninety degree angle going down from the corner of my eye and then going straight across under my eye and connecting from the end of my eye to the point just next to my nose, thus creating a triangle effect. I have already repurchased this product. I find it at Target, but it is a hit and miss type of situation, so I actually repurchased before finishing this product because I knew I really liked it and I couldn't tell how much I had left, which is my one negative about this product, that you have no idea when you will run out.

Bumble and bumble Tonic Lotion
I go through one of these about every 3-4 months. So I finished another bottle. I really like this product. The Bumble and bumble website describes this product as "A blend of herbs, vitamins and Tea Tree oil replaces moisture, soothes, detangles, enhances the performance of products and reminds us of old-school barbers' elixirs." I use this product almost daily basis. I spray it in my hair just after I get out of the shower, and sometimes I will use it to help refresh my second day hair with dry shampoo.


Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment Salicylic Acid Acne Medication Oil Free
This is a fantastic spot treatment. I bought this on a whim on day when I was having particularly bad breakouts. It is not a miracle worker, but I really do not think any product is. But what I do find is this product is good at bringing down acne spots quickly. It does not make them disappear overnight but if you put it on a spot, the next day the spot will look better. As with all acne treating products, this product is drying but I do not find it to be dryer than other products I have tried. I would not recommend putting this all over your face, rather concentrating it on your problem spots. I tend to wash my face and hold a warm washcloth over my problem area before patting dry and applying this product. After that I left the product dry down and once it has I do put moisturizer on, so that the surrounding area does not dry out too badly. I find that this product does have a slight sting to it sometimes, but that is only when the acne has already been picked at. I purchased the Target Up & Up brand version of this product so we will see how that works, if it is not as good I would definitely consider repurchasing this product. I personally prefer the salicylic acid based products over others as I find that it is not as drying on my skin.

CVS Eye Make-up Remover Oil Free

This is supposed to be a dupe for the Neutrogena Oil-free Eye Makeup Remover. I am not sure if that is the case or not, as I have never tried the Neutrogena but seeing something compared to Neutrogena gave me the impression that this product would be good for my sensitive eyes, and I was not disappointed. I really liked this product, and the price was very reasonable. This is probably my favorite liquid eye makeup remover I have used. I have the Almay currently and I do not really care for it. I have used the Lancome Bifacial in the past as well. I like that one, but the price and effectiveness of the CVS makes it a steal and the winner in my book. With eye makeup remover I am truly only looking for an effective product that does not irritate my sensitive eyes. And this product hits the mark and a deal price too! I would recommend this product.



CVS Nighttime Makeup Remover Cleansing Clothes
This CVS product is another "dupe" of a Neutrogena product. This time its supposed to compare to the Neutrogena Makeup Remover Night Calming. I got this for free or nearly free with coupons. Its just the travel size of 5 cloths. I liked this makeup remover but it was not something I would repurchase without a free/nearly free coupon situation. I like these small trial packs to keep in my car and work bag. That way if they do end up drying out due to extreme temperatures from being in the car or nonuse then I will not be too upset because they are the small 5 cloth sizes. The scent on this cloth was lavender like, I am imaging that has to do with the nighttime element of these clothes, but like I said I use them more on the go. I will continue to pick these up with coupons, but not for full price. I recommend checking out the trial size products when you have a coupon, a lot of times they are not excluded and you can pick up a nearly free product.


Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15
I got this as the Sephora Birthday gift last year. Once again it is a product that was wasting away in my collection, so I made real effort to use these on a more consistent basis. I love this product. I think it is really worth the cost, although the gift sets that are out right now at Sephora would be a great way to sample and try them out. I am tempted to pick one up and possibly gift a couple of the balms. The texture of these lip balms is rich and thick and truly moisturizes the lips. I like the sheer color that comes with the Rose shade. The scent is fresh and lemony. If your lips are in need of repair this product is the solution.


MAC Mini Lustreglass
I had two of the mini's left over from a long ago holiday set, and I finished them off. They were nice, but I am not a huge MAC lipglass fan, but I did like the lustreglass formula the best. These were products were ones that just needed to be used up. The consistency was normal and scent was still fine, but I was worried that they might go bad.


Origins Starting Over Age-erasing moisturizer with Mimosa 
I really enjoyed this moisturizer. It is a light feeling thickened liquid consistency. It thoroughly moisturizes my skin but is not too heavy on my face. I do not know if it was truly "age-erasing" but I did feel it was effective in keeping me from getting any additional fine lines. I really liked the scent of the product as well, it has a nice orange/citrus scent and a slight natural scent. I have not repurchased so far, as I am using some other moisturizers I have already, but I would certainly considering repurchasing and I am actually currently trying to see if there are any holiday sets with this out. I would recommend this for some on with normal/combination skin who is looking for a lightweight but effective moisturizer that keeps wrinkles and fine lines at bay.

Philosophy Help Me
This is a retinol treatment that I use at night. I have gone through probably 3 or 4 of these tubes over the last several years. A tube typically lasts me about 6 months. It is a creamy texture and the smallest amount works all over my face. I have seen great results with this product hence the repurchasing of it several times. I think that it helps to fade acne marks and pitting that has resulted from prior acne. It is a retinol treatment, so there could be some drying from this, but I do not think it is overly drying. But it does get the job done without a doubt. I really like the packaging, it is completely light proof and sanitary to use, and I think the product does not breakdown in it. I will mostly likely be reordering this in the Sephora FF sale.

Philosophy Hope in a Jar
This is whipped creamy moisturizer.  It has a nice moisturizing effect, but does not leave me feeling greasy. I am not wowed by this product, but I do like it. I do not imagine I will be repurchasing this product. Something about the scent does not sit well with me. I believe this is considered one of the go to products of the brand, and I have used it many times but have never been too impressed by it. I think its a fine enough moisturizer and does the job. It is reasonably priced for a higher end moisturizer, but I do not see myself purchasing again any time soon.



Philosophy When Hope is Not Enough
This oil is supposed to nourish your skin and help it to retain moisturizer. I really love this product, I found that it did nourish my skin and so little was needed, just a few drops before my night time moisturizer. I felt that this helped with some moisturizers that I felt otherwise were just okay. I have not repurchased, I am currently using the Tarte Maracjua Oil currently, and I really do want to try out the Estee Lauder reformulated advanced night repair, I haven't tried that in years but I really liked it when I had it before.

Physician's Formula Organic Wear FakeOut Mascara in Ultra Black
I really enjoy this mascara and I snatch it up on sale whenever I can. I have amassed a nice supply at this point, which is great because this is my go to everyday mascara that I use when my eyes are irritated or I want a simple look. Don't get me wrong this mascara gives some nice volume and length, but it is not over the top and is perfect for every day. My lashes are blond so while I have decent length, volume and curl naturally, without mascara my looks very ill-defined. My allergies have been in full force the past two to three months and this is the one mascara I have felt comfortable wearing even when my eyes are completely red and irritated. I have been going mascara free several times a week due to my eye irritation, but when I do wear mascara for a daily look I have used this one. Its a dryer formula with a jumbo plastic brush with small nubby bristles. I do not detect a strong scent to the mascara at all, which is good because the fragrance tends to irritate my eyes. I do not find that this formula flakes off, which can be a problem for me. Its not waterproof, so when my allergy irritated eyes water it can come off but it has not caused any stinging or additional issues for my eyes. I find that the brush helps to separate my lashes and keep the look natural non-spidery. I also like that this does not leave my lashes feeling hard and crunchy, I feel like I can actually touch my lashes and they are still soft. If you are looking for unbelievable lashes, I do not know if this is what you are looking for although the claims on the box are quite large, I do not find this to be the most voluminous and enhancing mascara, I really think that Lancome Hypnose may be the winner for my most perfect lashes. I have and will continue to purchase this and I highly recommend it for a nice full and soft everyday lash look.


tarte Maracuja C-Brighter Eye Treatment
I received this deluxe sample (2.5g/0.088 oz) in a set I purchased a while back. I really enjoyed this eye cream. It is light weight but extremely moisturizing at the same time. I didn't notice any truly extravagant results in terms of my under eyes being brightened, but I did feel that it helped with the fine lines I have under my eyes. I am currently in search of my ultimate eye cream. This may be it. I really liked the way it performed. My only issue is the price ($38) and size (0.35oz) you get the full-size in. Most eye creams are 0.5 oz and so I feel like this product is priced a bit high, although I am seriously considering purchasing it with my Sephora FF discount code (I need to decide soon) or Ulta 20% coupon. I think this a really great eye cream, I just do not know if its the best as it did not do much for my under eye circles, although I have not found anything that has to date.


tarte Maracuja Creasless Concealer in Fair
I really enjoy this concealer. It is a high duty and heavy coverage concealer but the maracuja in it helps my skin to not dehydrate under it. I find that the fair shade is pretty spot on for my skintone. I wear this as a spot concealer or sometimes very lightly buffed allover my face mixed with a moisturizer for a light coverage. I have another tube ready to crack into already, so I do not have the need to repurchase as of today, but I do see myself continuing to use the tarte concealer products in the future. I might try out another one, I have been eyeing the stick version of the amazonian clay concealer. I would absolutely recommend this concealer, and I have many many times to friends. I have actually also gifted this concealer as well as the Erase Paste. I think concealer can be extremely personal taste, so I have not gifted either of them blindly, so to speak, but have left them try out mine and after they raved about it they found it as part of their Christmas gifts. My girlfriends and I are always searching for the best of the best when it comes to makeup, skincare, etc and so we love to share the gems we find with one another. I would recommend this high coverage and well formulate concealer to everyone.



Tresemme Freshstart Dry Shampoo
I used up the last bottle of this that I had stored up. I like it but I have been trying some other dry shampoos as well. I really would like to try to the Pssst and the Lush, but so far I have not. I have not repurchased and I do not know if I will because I am looking for a better cleaner feeling dry shampoo and I am trying out some other low cost finds right now, one of which is also an empty.

Wet n Wild Eye Shadow in Brulee
This is a great inexpensive eyeshadow. It is $1.99 at the drugstore, although I have not been able to find it at CVS as of late, which is where I have previously purchased it, usually on sale. I believe this is the second or third of these that I have used up, and I have another one going right now. Its a a neutral toned beige color that is perfect for blending out or as a matte highlight for my fair skin tone. I also like it allover the lid with a matte neutral crease color for a very neutral everyday look. My one grip with this product is that when it gets down to the pan the product on the ends often happens to crack and crumble and that can be a real mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment